front porch trash

front porch trash

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Free is a GOOD Thing

Way back in December, New Year's Eve to be exact, I got the bug to get out of the house and go thrifting. We aren't a big celebration family for New Year's Eve, so off I went.

Long story short, I picked up a bunch of free stuff. Apparently lots of folks were trying to beat the donation deadline and donated a bunch of toys. New, nearly new and broken.

It took me almost a week to get all of the free items listed. Some were donated, some went to the family and some were trash. The selling has been slow but it has been worth the wait. I have sold 17 items for a total profit of $206. Not bad for free stuff.

Now a word for all of you non-international sellers out there. I made my biggest profits from international sales.

This Thomas Train, Percy with remote control, went international for $25. With fees, discounts and all of my expenses I made $24.53 profit. And I hesitated listing this right after Christmas. But most families have little ones with birthdays right after the holiday and they are looking for reasonably priced gifts after the Christmas spending frenzy. Been there myself.

This lightweight CD (new, sealed) went international for $10. With fees, discount and all of my expenses I made $10.62 profit.
Another lightweight CD (new, sealed) that went international for $10. With fees, discounts and all of my expenses I made $9.67 profit. Glad to get Barney out of the house!!

If you aren't selling international for items that can go first class you might want to try a few items and see what happens. They may sit there for a couple of months but the return is worth it. I know several of the items I have sold international I sold because I am willing to ship international and I priced them on the higher end of similar items already listed.

Of course, having no money invested in the free items makes taking an international risk a no brainer.

3 comments:

  1. I have a Percy toy exactly like that in a tub of toys out in my garage! I was just looking at it yesterday thinking I should bring it in and list it.

    ReplyDelete