front porch trash

front porch trash

Saturday, September 29, 2012

HOMEMADE "SHOUT" STAIN TREATMENT


I'm a big fan of homemade cleaning supplies.Our grandparents didn't have individually packaged dish washing detergent or two grocery shelves of laundry stuff just to prepare their laundry to be washed. Or fabric softener to make their laundry smell good. They had just the basics cleaning supplies and fresh air.

I have a basic list of cleaning supplies that I use and I haven't bought laundry soap in 3 or 4 years now. I don't use fabric softener and balk at paying the high prices for cleaning supplies.

So, on my internet search I found a homemade recipe for a laundry stain remover, similar to Shout.
The recipe is very simple with only 3 ingredients, plus water. I made some several weeks ago and have been using it on soiled collars, spots and just dirty areas. Works great and now I am ready to share. I don't like to pass out recipes without testing first.

Here is what you will need:

HOMEMADE STAIN TREATMENT
2 cups hot water
6 Tbs baking soda
2/3 cup Dawn dish detergent
2/3 cup household ammonia

That's all. Here is what I did.
Heat your water to very hot. Add the baking soda.
Not really boiling, but it helps the baking soda dissolve better. 
Stir
Add 2/3 cup Dawn and 2/3 cup ammonia.
Stir
Done, well except for the shaking once you get it in the bottle.
This recipe makes about 24 ozs., just enough to fill an empty Dawn bottle!

I keep a small brush on the washer, next to the bottle of treatment and squirt it on and then rub it in with the little brush. This is what I made today.

The original recipe calls for a spray bottle, but I found that it's too thick to spray well. The baking soda doesn't dissolve very well and I put mine in a recycled Dawn bottle so that I could shake it and keep it mixed. Every time I do a load of clothes I give the bottle a shake. That little shake keeps the baking soda from clumping too much in the bottom.
What? You don't do laundry every day? Just shake when you do.

If you just want to try this recipe do what I did and cut the recipe in half. Dawn is expensive but the grease cutting stuff in it helps with the stain.

One more weapon in my battle with store bought stuff we don't need when we can make our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment