front porch trash

front porch trash

Thursday, June 2, 2011

A HAPPY DISCOVERY

Sometimes the best things are discovered by accident. At least some of my best finds have been totally accidental.

That happened this week.

I was busy cooking on my day off and decided to have chicken enchiladas for dinner. No problem. Fresh chicken in the fridge, can of sauce in the pantry.....Ahhhhh....no enchilada sauce. That means no chicken enchiladas for dinner. What will I do? What will I do?

A quick dash to the computer and a favorite web site, Chickens in the Road, and check out their great from scratch recipes.The link is over there------->
  Yeah!!!! homemade enchilada sauce.
I had all of the spices in the cabinet and a can of tomato sauce in the pantry. All set. And it was fantastic, even if I do say so myself. I can't take credit for the recipe, but it was some good stuff.

Yes, I will be glad to share the recipe. According to the website the sauce can be canned very easily also if you want to make a bunch ahead of time. This recipe made enough for dinner with about 16 oz. left over for another meal. 

Enchilada Sauce
28oz. can tomato sauce
1 tsp. oregano
1Tbs. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder (or more to taste)
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt (optional)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. black pepper (optional)
Mix all of the spices into the tomato sauce and heat thoroughly.
I didn't add extra chili powder or salt because I liked it the way it was, but feel free to adjust to your personal taste.

My sauce was ready in 5 minutes and was just as good as canned sauce I have purchased in the past.And I have enough left for another meal or two.

Only one question.
Why haven't I done this before now?
Duh.......


No comments:

Post a Comment