front porch trash

front porch trash

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

THE SALT OF.......SEASONS?

I originally thought of the salt of the earth as the title. But I don't put dirt in my seasoned salt.....lol

I am on a quest to make our meals better. Less fat, less sugar, less salt and less purchased quick mixes. (hamburger helper, instant seasoning packets and the like) Now, I don't have anything against fat, salt, or sugar. My SweetiePie has been pouring it on for years. It has finally caught up with him. But in my effort to make our meals healthier I have to be sneaky. We won't get into my sneaky use of TVP, just in case he ever reads this. What he doesn't know won't hurt him. Right?

I love seasoned salt. I found a great combination of spices that has less salt than the commercial brands. I use sea salt now which is supposed to contain less sodium, and I can't tell the difference in taste. The first time I made this seasoned salt recipe I didn't really like the taste. Then I tweaked it a bit (don't I always) and now I love it. I use it very sparingly on meat because I want the taste of the spices, not the salt.

Here is my recipe:

Seasoned Salt
4 tbs salt, sea salt or low sodium salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp curry powder (I didn't use this, didn't have any)
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 tsp celery seed (I doubled this because I like celery seed)
1 tbs dried parsley flakes
Put everything in blender or mini food processor and blend until everything is a fine powder.
I store mine in a recycled/reused plastic spice jar with a sprinkle lid on the counter next to the stove so it is always handy.

I like to sprinkle on pork chops, hamburgers, and chicken and let it sit for a few minutes before cooking. I also add it to bread crumbs when I coat fish for oven cooking.

YUM... Time to get sneaky!!

No comments:

Post a Comment