front porch trash

front porch trash

Thursday, June 30, 2011

FAJITAS TO DIE FOR.......ALMOST

I love Mexican food!!!
But I can't always go to Los Margaritas for the best Mexican food in the world area. Limited funds prevent me from eating out much any more.

But I have found an alternative that will do for now.  Home made fajitas...YUM

The seasoning mix I found on the internet (Chickens in the Road) is very good, has low sodium and is good in lots of other dishes. I made the mix and stored it in a recycled jar and I never measure, I just dump some in until the color is good. Taste....then dump some more if needed.( Dump is truly a Southern term to be used in moderation.) Great on chicken, steak or ground beef.

I would really love to add peppers to the mix, but alas, no one in my family likes peppers but me. So I have to wait until I go to Los Margaritas for truly peppery, oniony fajitas.

Here is what you need to make awesome fajitas.

FAJITA MIX
2 Tbs cornstarch
4 tsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp sugar (optional, I don't add any)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper(or more if you like HOT)
1/2 tsp cumin
Mix everything together with a fork in a glass bowl. Store in a baggie, jar or spice bottle.

This little jar holds the fajita mix X 3.
Average use is about 2 Tbs of mix. Use according to your taste.

Tonight I had a pack of thin cut round steak (on sale for $1.57) that I cut into 1/8 inch diameter strips and cut each strip about 1 1/2 inch long. Toss those in your skillet with a pinch of olive oil and as many onions as you like. And I wish I could toss in peppers now, but no one will eat them. Grrrrr.... Stir fry until meat and onions are done, about 7 to 8 minutes.

While the meat/onions are cooking chop up some lettuce, get out the tortillas, sour cream, cheese, salsa and anything else you like on your fajitas.

Almost ready
Warm up your tortillas and fill to the brim. Sometimes I make homemade tortillas, but I was in a hurry today and used store bought. I know, I gave myself 3 demerits for that.
Dig in.....I can have this cooked and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes. Not bad for a quick Mexican fix. Just as good with chicken as beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment