front porch trash

front porch trash

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A GOOD KITTY

Our house is full of kitties. Our daughter has 3 kitties and we have one. Or as is almost always the case, the kitties have us. We feed them and clean out their poop and they may let us scratch their tummies and brush them when they feel like it.

Most of the time our kitties get along pretty good. Sniffing each other and stealing the other ones food. Do we tell them it is from the same bag? They don't care. They are pulling one over on the other one.

When our daughter moved in the kitties had to adapt. Our kitty, Nikki, woke up one day and found strange kitties in HER house. It took some getting used to. She never did warm up to Simon. Two alpha kitties don't get along. So our daughter kept Simon in her rooms during the day so Nikki didn't feel threatened.  Worked out pretty good.
How did she know it was lasagna? Garfield would be proud.

We found Nikki at the Animal Shelter. A great choice for us. She was an older cat, we were an older couple who didn't want a kitten. She was about a year old when we brought her home and she had already been fixed. She warmed up to us right away and became a part of the family. We joked and said we got her because she matched the floor in the kitchen. Nikki was sorta a rare cat. Only about 10% of orange tabbies are female.
Princess Pumpkin Butt 

Where's my other foot?

Nikki died on Sunday morning.

She had not been herself for the last several weeks. She had taken to walking around in circles, only turning right. You couldn't force her to turn left. If you put a treat on her left side, she didn't see it. Give it to her on her right side and she gobbled it up. She didn't like to jump up on the couch unless she had to and didn't go upstairs much lately.She was eating well and no problem with the litter box. We don't know what happened. She had asthma and when she died she was fighting for air. She was fine on Saturday night. She and Firefly were chasing a bug when we went to bed.
Come on, it's time for bed


Here, let me help
SweetiePie and I were there when she died. I'm glad she wasn't alone. I just wish she could have understood that we loved her and we will miss her. I think she did.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, it really hurts to loose a loved pet. I don't doubt at all that she knew you cared for her. Animals are smarter than we give them credit for. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dhamma for the hugs.
    I will miss her licking my elbow in the middle of the night.
    I know she is at peace now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very sorry to hear about Nikki - it is clear from this post that you really loved her, so I know that she had to have felt and known it throughout her life and in her final moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart truly goes out to you. I lost my beloved LucyBell three weeks ago. We had her for a little over seven years. One day she was fine and then she started acting odd, staying off to herself, then she got under my bed the night before she died and that is where she took her last breath.
    My heart broke into a million pieces.
    I just found your blog and really enjoy reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry about LucyBell. It certainly takes some time for the pain to go away. I know that there will always be a little yellow tabby spot in my heart for Nikki and I know it will be the same for you and LucyBell.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete