front porch trash

front porch trash

Sunday, July 3, 2011

347

The weather here has been brutal. I mean, is the grass suppose to be brown and crunchy?

Time for some thrift therapy.

My daughter and I went to a BIG thrift store yesterday. I mean we are talking Home Depot Big. I think the building was at one time a home improvement store. Maybe not HD, but something like that. Anyhoo, it is big and you can look for hours.

They have lots of shelves full of junque  an interesting selection of various goods. I am a home goods kinda girl. Dishes, pots and pans, and toys and such. This is the place that has these huge wooden bins filled with various clothing articles and household stuff. I once got an almost new PINK sleeping bag for the princess palace for 25 cents. Not to mention lots of summer t shirts and shorts for the princess palace and other members of the family.

I am in the process of using my scraps from my t shirt market bags and crocheting rag rugs.   I am color coordinated so I needed a few more teal blue, gray and navy    t shirts to complete a rug for one of my bathrooms. Can't beat 4/$1.00 and you can pick and choose your colors.

Stack of 25 t shirts in the colors I needed.

Vintage Harvest Gold Tupperware (syrup or creamer dispenser), aluminum pitcher and MINT vintage bud vase (marked USA). I think the bud vase is McCoy, but can't find it in the book....
An assortment of toys. The F-P little house reminds me of Romeo and Juliet, with the balcony. A homemade Raggedy Ann (needs a few stitches and washing, but in good shape), a Zapf Creations baby doll, a dreamtime carousel (Disney) and a talking doll (not Chatty Cathy) that has the worst corroded battery that I have ever seen.
Anyone know the name of the talking doll. She's not marked.
I had a friend who repaired Chatty Cathy's and I am thinking of trying to see if I can get this one to talk. May be too much for me.

Now, the big question. How much do you think I paid for all of this? 25 t shirts and 10 various other items?
Would you believe $3.47?
I know, I know.....I was flabbergasted when she told me the total.
I asked "Is that all?"

We stopped on the way home at McD to get something to drink and use the CLEAN restroom and I sat there for 15 minutes trying to figure out how in the world the lady came up with that total. I did have a filled punch card for 20% off, but geeze everything was almost free. It works out to almost 10 cents for each item.

This trip to the thrifting world will spoil me.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THE BLUE VASE!!!

    smiles,
    the Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't believe that it was in perfect condition!! It really is mint green, but all the photos look turquoise.

    ReplyDelete