front porch trash

front porch trash

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

UGLY BREAD---GOOD BREAD


 
Do you ever make bread when you are in a hurry and when you get to the second rise just kinda slam it in the loaf pan?                

Well that’s what I did when I made bread this week.

It might look rough and lumpy but that didn’t stop my hungry family from eating half a loaf at dinner last night.

Have you ever seen happy bread?
 Kinda has an Elvis look, don't you think? Thankyaverrymuch.

I don’t think I need to tell you what this bread looks like. You can use your imagination. Tastes better than it looks!!


I’ve always wanted to make delicious (and pretty) bread but never took the time to knead it properly. I guess when you work all week beautiful and delicious bread is not on the menu, unless it was on sale in the store that week. 

One problem I had was not kneading enough. I solved that problem with a little treasure I found at the Goodwill. A heavy duty mixer with dough hooks!! Fantastic price of $15, works great, came with two bowls, dough hooks, and beaters. Not a kitchen aid but will do until I find one at the right price.


Since I have been out of work I have learned to make bread. I found a fantastic recipe at www.tammysrecipes.com/homemade_wheat_bread. Some say that the flour doesn’t matter, but I beg to differ. I tried store brands and the local brands but the rise wasn't great. Now I use King Arthur Flour and my bread always comes out great. I did tweak the recipe just a bit, but this is basically the same recipe I use.  I replace one Tbs. of flour with vital wheat gluten for every cup of flour I use. This recipe uses 3 cups flour so I replace three tablespoons of the flour with vital wheat gluten.

I make two average size loaves about every 6-9 days and we always have fresh bread. My daughter uses one loaf for her sandwiches to take to work and the other is used for breakfast and what not. What is left over at the end of the week is thrown in the back yard for the deer.


Who cares if the bread looks great. It still taste better than store bought stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment