front porch trash

front porch trash

Thursday, January 10, 2013

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING....OR NOT?

I've had an ebay store now since August 2010. It took several months to get the hang of how to list, categories and just the feel of everything going. Of course, once you get a idea of how things go ebay changes the rules. I guess that's just how it goes.

When I signed up for my store I didn't choose to do international shipping. I had shipped international in the past and it was a hassle. Customs forms and such. I thought it was a waste of time. BIG mistake.

Beginning in September 2012 I decided to change to international shipping. I had shipped a few things international, but on an item by item basis. Printing shipping tags for international shipments is no harder than an ordinary shipping label. Punch it in, print the tag, sign the label and you are done.

Sales wise it has been a boost. In November and December I did lots of international shipping. Four pair of boots went to Canada, some snow clothing and sweaters. Sweaters to Norway, stitch kit to Russia, puzzle to South Korea, Vogue patterns to France and more that I can't remember.

It was a bit of a hassle changing my listings to international shipping as they came up for renewal. You have to know the weight of everything. I pretty much guessed at most items. You handle all this stuff a dozen times before you store it away and you get a feel for the weight. The only thing so far that I was under weight on was the puzzle to South Korea. I still made money, maybe a dollar. At least it was not a loss.

So, if you aren't doing International First Class Shipping you should be. Why not get some of the money back that we've been sending overseas all these years?

Works for me!!!

1 comment:

  1. Before, I was so scared and actually lazy to go and try buying stuff online because I don't think I'm cut out for all the processes. But when I started doing it some time last year, I realized that it's not too much of a work, and I began to see the convenience it could give me. Now, knowing that you've had the same notions as I did (although you are the one shipping), I'm happy to know that your business benefited through shipping international greatly. Nice!
    Luise Pagett

    ReplyDelete