front porch trash

front porch trash

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

SHOULD I CHANGE THE NAME?

Sometimes I feel like I should change the name of my blog to Grandma's Trash Talk. It seems all I ever do is complain. I think I'll make my first New Year's Resolution and try to be a more positive blogger, starting now.

As one of many out there in blog land who sell on ebay I often get frustrated by that huge, impersonal entity. I mean, they are out to make money and its usually at my expense. I buy, I list, I sell, I pay fees and hope that I have enough left over to pay the bills. Problem is that the bills keep coming and sometime I can't find good stuff to sell. More small stuff means listing more stuff, selling more stuff and hoping that I have enough to make it all worthwhile.

Ebay has so many new things going on now. Has anyone seen the listings when you check out completeds? What is up with the picture count for each listing? Are we to be shamed into adding more pictures? What about adding useless similar pictures? Most items only require 4-6 pictures to give a good view of the items. Sometimes I have more, but only try to post necessary pictures. Collections? Like on etsy? Where we gather things we like into a collection? Other items online to show in our collection? Excuse me, but I don't really want to promote other sellers items. I have a hard enough time promoting my stuff. I'm not a pushy seller.

On to better things, maybe.

I went to my favorite thrift store last week and came away with a bonus. Conjunctivitis, or Pink Eye. What a nice bonus!! not...I did find some nice things that will turn a profit so I can't complain about that. But this darn pink eye hurts. I haven't had this since my girls were little. I wish it would go away faster or I will be forced to "dig my eyeball" out it itches so bad.

OK everyone back to the holiday listing. Fast and furious. I need to up my daily listings but I can't seem to get motivated.

How have sales been?  I have a theory that folks aren't able to get on the healthcare website so they are just going to ebay to shop ;) Or maybe not. Or more realistically they are getting ready for the holidays.

I had the best month in October since January. I had a lot of $100 days and then some. I managed to sell these in October:
Italian Leather Boots--$280
If the manager of my local GW sees this I
will NEVER get another pair at the regular
boot price, she will mark them through
the roof, plus $10
NIB Coleman dual fuel stove, to Russia $99
A big raspberry to the potential customer on ebay who
said this was priced too high and told me what it was worth!!
This was from a church yard sale, so it helped
multiple people

Two pair of Laura Ashley curtains, drapes, $65
This was also from a church run thrift that helps
homeless people and battered women. Double help
And as my SweetiePie says, all of those small ones add up to big omes. Bless his little heart.

So I guess I'll just keep selling and try to complain less.
And as Flo (Progressive Ins.) says: "these are troubling times in the kingdom"

5 comments:

  1. Great Sales! I was wondering where you're seeing the picture count for each listing. I haven't noticed that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I check completed sales I see in the bottom left hand corner a dark box with the number of pictures in the listing. Ebay may be trying out something new in my area. They complain all the time about not putting pictures in your listing, or colored fonts or this and that and yet they keep adding things that takes up space in the listing. I guess it's ok as long as it is something they want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hunh. My head shaker is that my little store door keeps changing color from red to blue and back again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great now my eye is starting to itch lol Seems like it is either feast or famine in my ebay store. really hope things pick up soon. Love those boots btw

    ReplyDelete
  5. It had been famine until Oct and then all of a sudden I got sales. Didn't do anything different, same listings except what I list new every day. I picked up those boots and was crossing my fingers that they were my size...no such luck.

    ReplyDelete