front porch trash

front porch trash

Friday, June 22, 2012

HIDDEN TREASURES

I love finding things in a bag of stuff that I purchase for another reason. And I love finding things that are treasures hiding in plain sight.

For example, when I took my Grandson home I stopped at some thrifts on the other side of town that I don't go to very often because of the distance. But I always find little gems at one of them. This time was no exception. I found these sitting on the "everything but the kitchen sink shelf", about a mile apart.
They were priced at 25cents each. What? They are porcelain, marked Disney and marked Lenox and they are adorable. But 25cents is way too cheap even for this thrift store. Why? I think the person pricing realized they were part of the 7 dwarfs and 5 are missing. But did they notice that they were salt and pepper shakers? Dopey is salt and Sneezy is pepper. Of course, I did remove about 65 layers of grease and dirt to get them to this condition. New, Lenox porcelain, Disney 7 dwarfs,  gold buttons and belt buckles and never used. A set sold recently for $30!!

There is a new TS across the street from this one that the profits go to homeless women and children. They have a mish-mash of stuff with prices all over the place and I always check out the zip lock bags full of odds and ends. I found all of this stuff in one bag in the toys for $1. Do you see any treasures?

Of course the treasures are easy to find now because I forgot to take a picture while they were black. I was dying to see if they were sterling!!
These little people spotted the treasures right away and circled the wagons to keep them safe.
The little people know bargains when they see them. Two vintage sterling baby rattles. One monogrammed from 1972 and one marked 1945 and a three ring silver teether not marked sterling.

I checked ebay prices and they vary from $10-25 depending upon the condition and age. These looked like they had been used as hammers at some point. What to do with them? Put them in a lot and list for one BIN price? Who would buy them? Someone who would scrap them for more than I could get after feebay got their cut.. Why not scrap them myself? BINGO....good idea. So SweetiePie and I ventured into a pawn shop for the first time and walked away with $25 for the two rattles and nothing for the rings. Nothing for the three rings because they were not marked sterling. That $25 covered everything that I spent that day at three thrift stores.The little ones at least $2 each and the large sailor and airplane pilot for $4 each, minimum. The pig is a cheap copy and the blocks are $store.

And I still have all of the vintage little people to list. Conservatively about $20-30 for all of them when they sell.

I love days like this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment